DIRECTOR IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (DIN):
DIN is an identification number which the Central Government may allot to any individual, intending to be appointed as director or to any existing directors of a company, for the purpose of his identification .
CONCEPT OF DIN:
The concept of a Director Identification Number (DIN) has been introduced for the first time with the insertion of Sections 266A to 266G of Companies (Amendment) Act, 2006. As such, all the existing and intending Directors have to obtain DIN within the prescribed time-frame as notified.
FORMS OF DIN APPLICATION AND MODIFICATION THEREOF:
PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING DIN :
-Attach the photograph and scanned copy of supporting documents. i.e. proof of identity, and proof of residence as per the guidelines. - Physical documents are not required to be submitted at DIN cell.
- Form DIR-3 is mandatory to be signed by the Applicant and shall be verified digitally by
a) Company Secretary in full time employment of the company
b) The Managing Director or Director or CEO or CFO of the existing company in which the applicant is intended to be appointed as a director.
-Upon upload, make the payment of filing fee of eForm DIR-3. Only electronic payment of the fees shall be allowed (i.e. Net banking / Credit Card/Debit Card/Pay later/ NeFT).
- The user is required to get himself / herself registered on the MCA21 Portal to obtain Login ID. Login to the MCA21 portal and click on 'eForm upload' link available under the 'eForms' tab for uploading the eForm DIR- 3.
- eForm DIR-3 will be processed only after the DIN application fee is paid.
Generation of DIN :
- Upon upload and successful payment, in case Form DIR-3 details have not been identified as potential duplicate, Approved DIN shall be generated and if the details have been identified as potential duplicate, Provisional DIN shall be generated.
Verification of e Form:
- In case, details of eForm DIR-3 are found as potential duplicate, the same gets routed to DIN cell for back office processing. Upon approval of the form, provisional DIN becomes approved DIN and would be available for further use.
Common Causes of Rejection:
- A provisional DIN is approved only after scrutiny of the documents attached with the application.
- Some of the common mistakes committed by applicants and on account of which the DIN application gets rejected are as under:
Non-submission of supporting documents:
a) The proof of identity of the applicant is not submitted.
b) The proof of father's name of the applicant is not submitted.
c) The proof of date of birth of the applicant is not submitted.
d) The proof of residential address of the applicant is not submitted.
e) The copy of passport (for foreign nationals) is not submitted.
Invalid Application/supporting Documents:
a) The supporting documents are invalid or expired.
b) The proof of identity submitted has not been issued by a Government Agency.
c) The application/enclosed evidence has handwritten entries.
d) The submitted application is a duplicate DIN application and already one application of that applicant is pending or approved.
e) The submitted application does not have photograph affixed.
f) The signatures are not appended to the prescribed place.
g) The applicant's name filled in application form does not match with the name in the enclosed evidence.
h) The applicant's father's name filled in application form does not match with the father's name in the enclosed evidence.
i) The applicant's date (DD/MM/YY) of birth filled in application form does not match with the date of birth in the enclosed evidence.
j) The address details filled in the application do not match with those contained in the enclosed supporting evidence.
k) The gender is not entered correctly in Form DIR-3.
l) Identification number entered in application does not match with the identity proof enclosed.
m) If enclosed documents are not self-attested..
· All existing and any person intending to be appointed as a director are required to obtain the Director Identification Number (DIN).
· DIN is also mandatory for directors of Indian Companies who are not citizens of India.
· DIN is not mandatory for directors of foreign company having branch offices in India.
· DIN is a unique identification number and once obtained is valid for life time of a director.
· A single DIN is required to be obtained irrespective of the number of directorships.
Source : www.mca.gov.in